Cannery season closed Thursday, December 20, 2012
The new entrance to the Cannery is new located on Thomas Jefferson Road, north of US 460..
London Community Cannery islocated at 12404 E. Lynchburg Salem Turnpike
behind New London Academy. The cannery’s regular operating hours
are on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 7:30 a.m. until 1 p.m., depending
on workload. The cannery phone number is 434-525-9706.
For more than 50 years Bedford County has operated
a community cannery at New London Academy for the benefit of gardeners
who want to preserve their harvest. (Besides produce, the cannery can
also preserve meat, by appointment only). The cannery accommodates #300
and #2-1/2 cans and provides the work space, sinks and supplies. The cannery
is open to everyone, whether they live in the county or not.
London Academy, US 460 at Va. 811
the first week of July
(Or the last week of June, depending on the season
and Thursdays, beginning at 7:30 a.m.
Rules and Regulations
- Instructors may instruct each user in correct
- Instructors are not permitted to do canning for anyone.
- All food containers (cans) must be marked with the patron number assigned.
- Responsibility for marking is the responsibility of the patron
- Each patron must clean up after each operation and remove garbage, wash equipment and leave area clean by washing tabletop and sink.
- Do not request that processing procedure, time or temperature be changed. Cannery personnel have been instructed to observe recommended procedures and processing schedules.
- Preparation and processing procedures in the cannery must conform to state food regulations for community canneries. User cooperation is required.
- People using facilities must observe safety precautions (steam is dangerous if not properly handled).
- Children under age 15 will not be permitted in the processing room
- All patrons must observe strict sanitary practices. Wear clean protective clothing (no shorts or halters), closed toe shoes, hands clean, long hair pulled back and secured.
- No smoking, tobacco chewing or spitting in drains allowed. <
- No off-grade or spoiled products shall be canned or brought into the cannery. Excessively dirty produce shall be washed at home prior to cannery appointment.
- Patrons must bring sufficent help to prepare
and process food within allotted time.
- Each patron is expected to follow through completed canning operations. Be sure to remove containers of food from retort basket or crate as soon as crate of canned foods are removed from cooling water bath spray.
- No equipment, pots, pans or utensils are to be removed from the cannery.
- Patrons to have cans checked and payment made before leaving the cannery.
- BEDFORD COUNTY DISCLAIMS ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR INJURY TO PERSONS OR PROPERTY PROXIMATELY CAUSED BY THE CANNING OPERATION.